The August edition of Building Bridges has been issued by the Prison Action Network.
A brief summary is given below. Please see Building Bridges for full details:
* Black August and the Attica Rebellion.
* Bring back the Free Buses.
* Campaign Finance Reform is Governor Cuomo's Summer focus.
* Corey's Column on the Merle Cooper program.
* DNA databank expansion bill is now in effect. This DNA Databank Expansion Bill, passed by the Legislature in March, makes New York the first state in the nation to require the collection of DNA samples from anyone convicted of any felony or Penal Law misdemeanor.
* Electoral Politics; how your vote in the Sept 13 primary can make a difference.
* Family Empowerment Day 5.
* In Our Name: Restoring Justice in America - last call for registration!
* Human Rights Watch Medical Parole research project solicits your input.
* "Munched" is donating the proceeds of a performance to WORTH.
* Parole News: June releases, summaries of three recent John Caher articles including the Graziano v. Pataki decision, getting your parole hearing transcripts faster, current commissioners.
* NYS Parole Reform Campaign plea from Rev. Stephen Lim.
* Prison Legal News is back in NYS prisons.
* Prison Media.
* NYS Prisoner Justice Network shares excerpts from their mailbox.
* The Prisoner Rights/Civil Rights Practice Group.
* Request for position papers: as an organization advocating for criminal justice reform, Prison Action Network is soliciting position papers on the issues which most deeply concern their members in prison and their family members.
* Sullivan's 2nd Look Think Tank met with Vanda Seward to discuss retooling parole.